web analytics

Parish Council meeting minutes – July 2021

Parish Council meeting minutes – July 2021

August 20th, 2021

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on: Thursday 15th July 2021 at the Baptist Chapel Hall, Preston Road, Inskip

Cllr Phil James (PJ – Chair)
Cllr Carol Berry (CB)
Cllr Geoff Carter (GC)
Cllr Martin Delaney (MD)
Cllr Alan Lingard (AL)

Clerk: Mike Ainsworth (MA)

Members of the Public: Mr. Brian Dearnaley

cc: Parish Councillors; Joanne Porter (Wyre Council); Wyre Cllr Susan Catterall; Wyre Cllr Peter Cartridge; LCC Cllr. Matthew Salter

Meeting opened: 20:00
Meeting closed: 21:25


1. Apologies for absence
2. Open Forum for the general public
3. Minutes of the last meeting held on Thursday 17th June 2021
4. Matters arising from the last meeting
5. Planning
6. Carrs Green
7. Financial matters
8. Any other business

Next meeting Scheduled for: Thursday 19th August 2021 on Carrs Green at 7pm


Chair: Cllr. Phil James
Date: 19th August 2021

1. Apologies for absence – apologies for absence were reported from Cllr. Chris Houghton (work) and from two members of the public, Messrs. Jonathan Palmer and Tom Alberts. Concern was raised by Parish Councillors that poor attendance at Parish Council meetings might adversely impact on the effectiveness of the Council. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should writing to Jackie Weaver, who is campaigning for a change in the Code of Conduct for Councillors allowing Councillors to be disqualified or suspended for poor conduct, asking that persistence absence is included as grounds for disqualification.
Action 7.21/1 – MA to write to Jackie Weaver seeking that she include persistent absence as grounds for disqualification

2. Open Forum – Brian Dearnaley asked for an update with regards to blocked footpath No. 10. The Parish Clerk advised that LCC had promised several weeks back to dispatch someone to inspect “within the next couple of weeks”. The Parish Clerk promised for follow up further.

3. Minutes of Last Meeting – approved as read.

4. Matters Arising

4.1. The Parish Clerk reported that all Actions had been cleared with the following exceptions:
• Rumble strips
• Traffic calming signage
• Deer signage
• Insurance against fly-tipping
• Mobile Phone interference
• Box to store Tennis Nets (AL reported that he has assembled box and just needs a lock) – cleared
• Planter on Common (GC reports that the planter has now been repaired) – cleared
• Lengthsman areas of responsibility
• No Mow areas

4.2. With regards to rumble strips Cllr. Delaney asked whether it would be practical to fund the work ourselves. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should seek advice from LCC as to the costs involved in re-establishing the rumble strips, and whether LCC would sanction the Parish Council to fund this work if funding could not be found from the LCC capital budget, and whether LCC would sanction the use of LCC resources if the work was funded independently. Action 7.19/2 – carried forward

4.3. With regards to traffic calming signage Cllr. James suggested that the Parish Council write to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lancashire suggesting that the police invest in the type of ‘cardboard coppers’ that he had seen recently in Scotland. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should write to the Police Commissioner and to LCC Highways further about introducing traffic calming signage at Inskip. No further progress was reported on provision of deer signage. Action 6.21/7 – carried forward

4.4. With regards to insurance against fly-tipping the Parish Clerk reported that NFU Mutual had declined to offer insurance and had suggested contacting the British Insurance Brokers Association. It was agreed that this type of specialist insurance might prove prohibitively expensive and no further action be taken.

4.5. Agreeing the Lengthsman’s areas of responsibility in the vicinity of the new builds and establishing suitable areas of “no mow” is being taken forward by Cllr. Lingard. AL mentioned concern that the Lengthsman’s fee had not kept up with inflation and the Parish Clerk agreed to write to the Lengthsman suggesting that he seek increased recompense for his services.
Action 7.21/2 – MA to write to Lengthsman asking if he wishes to increase his charge rate to offset inflation

5. Planning – the Parish Clerk advised Parish Councillors that he was preparing an updated reply to Wyre Council challenging their response to the earlier complaint raised by the Parish Council related to the conduct of Wyre Councillors and Officials in handling a recent planning application. Cllr. Phil James advised that he understood that the School Governors had also responded back unhappy at the original response to their similar complaint.

6. Carrs Green

6.1. The Parish Clerk reported the successful installation of the boardwalk. There had been much positive feedback from members of the public. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk would engage with the contractor to commence work on laying down gravel on the footpath adjacent to the boardwalk and on other works as soon as permitted after the bird breeding season including scraping out ponds.
Action 7.21/3 – MA to engage with contractor about scheduling work on Common as soon as possible

6.2. The Parish Clerk also reported that Mrs. Susan Pilkington had reviewed the draft text proposed for the Information Panels for historical accuracy and that as a result he would produce an updated version for Parish Council approval in due course. Mrs. Pilkington has promised to supply old photos for inclusion as well.

6.3. A Zoom meeting had been arranged for next week with various parties with an interest in environmental protection to discuss how best to maintain the Common in its pristine state and the impact of reforestation. This will be followed by a site visit in late August at which Parish Councillors will hopefully be able to put their views across.

6.4. Cllr. James noted asked that the thanks of the Parish Council for the fine work of Mr. Jimmy Hall in extending the path of the footpath across the Common to the junction of Wood Lane with the main road be noted in the minutes.

7. Financial Matters – payments approved at the meeting: Clerk’s salary; PAYE; Clerk’s expenses; Wyre-in-Bloom costs; Carrs Green Boardwalk installation; Lengthsman’s fees. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should raise claims with HMRC to refund VAT and with the Lancashire Environmental Fund to refund the cost of the boardwalk.
Action 7.21/4 – MA to reclaim VAT from HMRC and project costs from LEF

8. Any Other Business

8.1. Cllr. Berry reported that she had checked the defibrillators and was concerned that the installation at the Derby Arms was being hidden behind ivy foliage. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should liaise with the publican as whether he would be happy for the Lengthsman to cut the foliage back.
Action 7.21/5 – MA to liaise with publican at Derby Arms with regards to foliage hiding the defibrillator

8.2. Cllr. Lingard reported that the Wyre-in-Bloom judging is scheduled for Tuesday.

8.3. Cllr. Delaney noted that Wyre Council had done an excellent job in refurbishing the tennis courts and asked that the Parish Council write a letter of thanks.
Action 7.21/6 – MA to write to Wyre Council commending the refurbishment of the tennis courts

8.4. Cllr. James noted that the issue of the level of land at the junction of Pinfold Lane with Preston Road might result in flooding in winter. He was also concerned as to what was the future for the former field gate onto Pinfold Lane, which was currently blocked by temporary fencing. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should write to Create Homes. Cllr. Lingard suggested that the Parish Clerk should also ask about the bench that was proposed for Preston Road near the bus stop.
Action 7.21/7 – MA to liaise with Create Homes about the entrance on Pinfold Lane and the proposed bench

8.5. Cllr. James had noted the offer of ‘Champions Funding’ from LCC and wondered whether it might prove useful for something like mechanical grazing on the Common. The Parish Clerk suggested that the funding required for that might exceed the LCC funding budget but it was suggested that it might be a worthwhile source of funds for YIPS or the Bowling Club. It was agreed that the Parish Clerk should ask YIPS and Bowling Club whether they would like to apply for funding from LCC with Parish Council sponsorship.
Action 7.21/8 – MA to liaise with YIPS and Bowling Club with regards to applying for ‘Champions Funding’ from LCC

8.6. The Parish Clerk asked whether Parish Councillors preferred future meetings to be held at the Baptist Chapel Hall or to revert to holding meeting at YIPS? It was agreed that meeting should be booked at the Baptist Chapel Hall for the remainder of the Parish year and that meetings be brought forward to start at 7pm in future.
Action 7.21/9 – MA to book future meetings at the Baptist Chapel Hall